You've got questions - we've got answers

Top frequently asked questions. If the FAQ below doesnʼt answer your questions, feel free to contact us directly via the navigation at the bottom of your screen.


What courses are available in the E-Track program at Tokyo International University?
Are the Japanese language courses mandatory for international students?
Yes, students in the E-Track Program are required to take 16 credits of Japanese Language Courses for graduation. Naturally, students who are native Japanese speakers or display a high level of Japanese communicative ability will be exempt from this requirement. Fluency in Japanese is a must when seeking employment in Japan, and it is highly beneficial for employment at Japanese companies outside of Japan. Credits earned in Japanese language courses count towards elective courses.
Can I change my major after enrolling?
Students wishing to change major must apply for an official interview, which is set up by a member of the E-Track faculty. The interview will be held once every semester and approval will be decided based on the applicant's screening and grade point average.


Is there a particular GPA that must be maintained or a compulsory set of GCE A-level subjects for acceptance to the university?
Is it possible to pay via means other than a credit card?
Yes. Please contact the E-Track office in advance and we will explain other payment methods.
Can I submit an official English test score slightly after the deadline?
No. All required documents must be submitted during the application period.
How many letters of recommendation do I need to submit?
I only have one set of original certificates. Do I absolutely have to submit the original?
As an official high school transcript must be submitted, it will be necessary for you to have your high school issue a certified copy. School transcripts must also be certified by a school official and be sealed in an authentic school envelope. If the high school will not issue a certified copy, you will be required to submit the original documents, which can be returned upon prior written request (please verify the relevant portion of the application form).
You mentioned that "certified copies" are accepted in lieu of originals. How do I get them?
There are many official organizations that offer a service of providing copies of documents that have been identified and sworn to be made from an original. These are what we call "certified copies". There are many ways to go about creating these documents, but the easiest way is by taking them to any TIU overseas office or the E-Track Office in Takadanobaba. For other ways of issuing these documents, make sure to learn more about what a certified copy is and how to issue them correctly by clicking here and reading the PDF file. After reading this set of instructions and if you still have any questions about how to get an official certified copy of a document issued, please contact the E-Track Office.
Can I transfer from another school?
Yes, we accept transfer students. The credits you have accrued at a previous university may be transferred pending an official screening. You are required to send a transcript and course description, such as a syllabus, for evaluation to the E-Track office prior to any application period.


How can I apply for a TIU scholarship?
Can I get a tuition reduction scholarship even if I already have some other scholarships?
Yes, you are eligible for TIU scholarships unless the other scholarships pose a restriction.
When will I be notified of scholarship results?
Notifications are sent to successful applicants paired with admission results. The scholarship remains valid for four years pending the recipient maintains sufficient academic performance and avoids any misconduct.

Life in Japan

For information about the cost of living in Japan, please refer to the following link: